Wednesday, February 9, 2011

February 11, 2011 - No Show Today

I am taking off this Friday to attend the Music Therapy and Disorders of Consciousness Symposium.

But you can still hear me talk about music therapy (my favorite topic!) on Wellness for the Real World with Dr. Veronica Anderson. This episode is called "Can Music Heal? The Ohio Players Weigh In".

The first segment featured Clarence "Chet" Willis and "HarryO" McCloud from The Ohio Players talking about how playing and listening to music helped them recover from health problems. Their responses weren't very coherent, but it was interesting to hear them speak and to listen to clips from their songs.

In the next segment, Karina Lewis, a psychotherapist who works with animals and music. In the interview, she indicated that she worked with an actual music therapist and knew about the American Music Therapy Association. She talked about The Mirror Effect and how horses reflect the emotions of people. Her bio states that she is "a trainer with her Master's degree in psychology". She somehow tied music and riding horses together as a therapeutic tool and therefore was an "expert" in music therapy.

The third segment featured Sharon Ruben, author of Awakening Ashley: Mozart Knocks Autism On Its Ear. She did know and state that what she was talking about is Listening Programs, not music therapy. Apparently, her daughter was "cured" of autism through a listening program that I suspect was related to the Tomatis Method. She has developed her own listening program called Lollipop Listening Therapy. Her theory is that ADHD and Autism affect people because the muscles that vibrate the bones in the inner ear are too weak.

Finally, I got to speak in the fourth segment. I did my best to clarify some of the prior misconceptions about music therapy. I also defined music therapy and gave real-life examples and explained real research from music therapy. And I got the last word!

I would love to know what you think about what was presented on this show. Leave me a comment and let me know!

I'll be back next week to talk to you live about REAL music therapy!

No comments: